Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Intern Spotlight: Anisa Arsenault


By Anisa Arsenault, FCRH ‘14

It was the start of spring weekend. I was sitting in my bed, gearing up for the Rose Hill Rush, and panicking about the fact I didn’t have a summer internship yet. Where were all my acceptances? I pulled up the Career Services CareerLink page yet again, scouring the site for any new journalism opportunities. In a final moment of desperation, I fired off a resume and cover letter to apply for an editorial internship at The Knot, a wedding magazine. “Guys, I just applied to a bridal magazine,” I announced to my roommates, refusing to take myself seriously. It turns out applying was the best move I could have made.  

Fast forward about a month, and I’m taking a test-run to make sure I’ll know how to get to my internship. I bought a copy of their New York regional magazine, and sat down to read it in a nearby park in front of City Hall. I was impressed by what a well-done, nice looking, and informative publication it was. My attitude was starting to change.

I settled in quickly at The Knot. The staff was all young and beautiful and friendly. They were eager to show me the ropes, and apologetic when I had to do basic, intern-type assignments. But I didn’t mind updating Excel spreadsheets, filing old issues, and gathering basic information. I was also given plenty of opportunities to write directly in the magazine, come up with research for my own pieces, and track down information from vendors and venues via interview. Under the pressured deadlines of a magazine, there was no time for hesitation or nerves when it came to calling strangers or writing articles. I was thrown right in, and loved every minute of it.  I thought I’d never be happier than when my boss asked me, “how do you feel about writing the Chicago Hot Sheet?”  That is, until the executive editor told me my contributor bio piece was “really, really good work.” (Okay, I’m probably too easily flattered by authority figures.) 

I was the first editorial intern to start, and was unaware that others were coming. I am so lucky they did. Six of us became great friends over the span of June and July, meeting for lunch every day at one, and even hanging out outside of work. I teamed up with another editorial intern, Amalia, to tackle a difficult assignment of getting quotes from 100 famous wedding professionals. It was tedious and time consuming, but soon became our baby. We were the go-to duo to turn to for all things Wed100. As someone who thrives off teamwork (I’m on the track team here at Fordham), this was a great setting for me. Whenever someone had too much work, they could send out an SOS message on our intern group chat. Anyone with downtime was quick to help. “SOS in the fashion closet” was a common message from Taylor, our constantly over-booked fashion intern. Working at a company like XO Group, I learned that it’s important to help wherever you’re needed, whenever you’re needed. Never say, “that’s not my job.” As a result, the company functions better, you establish better relationships with your coworkers, and become a reliable employee.

Over the course of the summer, I learned more than I could have hoped, and felt genuinely helpful. I was granted fantastic opportunities, such as being The Knot representative at press event in the Times Square W Hotel. I had a blast; XO Group is a fun place to work. A toast for the royal baby? You bet. Intern pizza parties and meet and greets with the CEO? Yup. Unexpected catered breakfasts and Thursday in-office happy hours? Of course. As interns, we were extremely grateful to be invited to the end of the summer, company-wide 80’s themed boat cruise. There’s something about dancing with all of your managing editors that says, “I’ve made it.” 

XO Group truly wants interns to learn and succeed, and representatives have been at Fordham career fairs in the past. I encourage any student interested in editing, writing, graphic design, photo, fashion, or even accounting to inquire about opportunities there. But you better do it fast—I can’t promise I’ll be able to stay away.

No comments:

Post a Comment