Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Internship Spotlight: Kedwien Valdez


By Kedwien Valdez, FCRH '15

Working at Allied Integrated Marketing has been one of the greatest experiences in my undergraduate career. Never did I think, that I would have the opportunity to work at a job that was so enjoyable. Let me start off by tell you a bit of background behind Allied. It is an integrated marketing firm that does work for big movie studio companies. They have clients like Lionsgate, Paramount, Focus Features, Fox, Warner Brothers, and even Disney. They participate in many aspects of marketing these studio’s movies. I worked directly in the promotions/publicity department of Allied; my title was Movie Studio Promotions intern. What I loved about being an intern at Allied is that I was given real responsibilities, I grabbed coffee for no one but myself. I was given real responsibilities and expected to do the same work as any other employee of the company. 


At Allied, we usually would receive a movie about one to two months before it is released in theaters. From there we have to work on creating and actualizing promotional events for the movie, as well as, work behind the scenes at these movie industry events. I had the responsibility of reaching out to different groups, places and events, all across New York City and try to tie them in to our movies. This would increase exposure and create more word of mouth buzz for each individual movie. For example, I recently did work for the Huger Games: Mocking Jay Part 1. Lionsgate was looking to target to college students and incorporate events Hunger Games into events across campus. So I organized a Hunger Games week at school and called it District Fordham. (Which was a pretty creative idea if I do say so myself.) I reached out to about four clubs on campus and together we brainstormed different ideas for events. We created a Hunger Games Trivia Night, a Movie Screening, a Social Media Raffle, and a walk out to the theater for the premiering night. While working with them, I also got one of our bigger clubs on campus, CSA, to incorporate the Hunger Games into their big event, Thanks-Give-Away. I got them to raffle off a prize pack filled with Hunger Games promotional items.

Besides working on the events, and pitching different ideas to different people, I also had the opportunity to do a lot of work with the movies. One of my main responsibilities was to work movie screening, which are advanced watching of the movie for selected crowds before it comes out in theaters. So I pretty much got to see a bunch of movies before they came out in theater for free. At these screenings, I had to help with crowd control and in some instances right reports at the movie analyzing the crowd’s reactions to particular scenes and their overall opinion of the movie. My favorite part of this internship and probably the most glamorous (brace yourselves for some humble bragging coming); I got the chance to work a ton of movie premieres. At these movie premieres I had many responsibilities, one of which was walking stars down the red carpet, scouting out any unexpected celebrities that decided to attend last minute and many times work the after party. Which actually isn’t as crazy as we imagine it to be it; although still really awesome to be in there.

Over all I learned a lot at Allied Integrated marketing: I learned to get out of my comfort zone, how to write proper pitch emails: what things worked and what didn’t, and how to present myself in many events like premieres and screenings. This internship allowed me to express my creative ideas much more openly; no idea was ever a bad one or too crazy. My opinions were always heard, and if weren’t agreed with, people took the time to explain why. It allowed me to strengthen my teamwork abilities and it also made me realize my interest in working within the entertainment industry. Overall this was a truly great experience.   

No comments:

Post a Comment