Thursday, January 14, 2016

Passion for Fashion: The Adventures of Being Nina Garcia’s Intern

Where? 
Marie Claire Magazine 34th Floor of the Hearst Building on 57th Street 

How did I become Nina’s Intern?
At first I was hired at Marie Claire as a Fashion Closet Intern where I was an intern along with 10 others. I was quite surprised considering the fact that I had worked at different magazines that really only had 4-5 interns for the fashion closet.
I thought to myself, what was I going to do that was going to make me stand out? Then one day I arrived 20 minutes early to work and a lovely gentleman saw me seating in the conference room reading my daily reading dosage of Marie Claire Web. He asked me if I could help him research a list of celebrities that he needed to give to Nina, so that she could choose which one she would like to be on the future cover of Marie Claire. I was thrilled, excited, and nervous. He wanted me to help him with a task for NINA GARCIA, the fierce, powerful, eyes of Marie Claire!! Well, the story follows, I did a good job and he asked me if I would like to be apart of the Nina Garcia Team. I was honored it just goes to show if you are early, ready, prepared, and excited to be an intern… People will see your dedication and passion for fashion and want you to their next best intern.

What did I do? 

I worked with two of Nina Garcia’s assistants: Kyle and Jenna. One of my daily task’s was logging in Nina’s Magazines sent to her from other publishing companies. So, that she could see what other Fashion Directors were styling in their covers. God for bid some other Fashion Director shoots the Dior dress that she was eyeing for the next shoot… Other activities that I did in the office were: checking in Nina’s outfits that were sent to her by designers, creating power points on celebrities that she wanted to shoot, creating mood boards for future spreads, What was in? What was out? What were some possible themes that Nina could use for the fashion pages of the magazine? This also helped me expand on my knowledge in the fashion industry. It educated me on what was in and what was so long gone out. Since I worked during the Holiday Season I also researched popular places to buy gifts for people in NY. What places would Nina want tourists who like to shop check out? (Check it out in December issue under Nina’s Christmas Gift List…) Above, is just a small composed list of what I did, since I was working with the Queen Nina Garcia, quite a lot of the things that I did was confidential.
Then of course when I had some free time, almost never, I enjoyed working with the fashion closet team in helping them prep for shoots. Besides working with Kyle, I also worked with Jenna who is the tech editor and also Nina’s first assistant. For Jenna, I helped her research what new fashionable technology products were emerging. This was something fun and new. At a break at work she allowed me to try out new beauty apps. One of my favorites one was an app that allows you to take a photo of anything and find that shade of makeup. For example if you take a photo of your purple top. The picture would then detect where the closest location is, so you could easily splurge on that shade of purple lipstick that you have always wanted!






No comments:

Post a Comment