Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Alumni Spotlight: Daniel Cruz, with CityYear


After college, I joined City Year because I really connected with its mission of addressing the high school dropout crisis. Coming from Fordham I had a very strong passion for service instilled in me during my 4 years there because of the school’s dedication to volunteerism. Last year I served at PS 345 in East New York, Brooklyn where I mentored and tutored students according to the ABC’s: Attendance, Behavior, and Course Performance. This was perhaps the hardest year of my life. My team and I were in the school before the students arrived and stayed until the last student left. There were days when I left my home in Harlem before sunrise and came back after sunset, but I saw all of my work paid off when I heard one of my bilingual students read a paragraph that he wrote in English. That moment became the defining one that motivated me to serve with City Year for another year.

Now I work on the New York Civic Engagement Team planning community engagement events and school beautification projects all over the city. My team and I lead volunteers from the community, companies, and other organizations through mural, construction, and landscaping projects. The goal of each project is to enhance the school and community environment. I really enjoy my role with City Year this year because I know my work helps to encourage students to stay in school. If I can make the school environment just a little more engaging for one student then I have done my job.

On January 17th I opened up my mailbox and saw a mural that I helped design, plan and execute on the front cover of my Fordham Alumni Magazine. You could probably imagine my excitement! This mural was one of the first projects I led in my new role. After sketching the mural with my team, I watched it come to life with color as I led 20 volunteers through the completion of the project. It was a feeling that I cannot describe with words but seeing the project that I helped design and implement on the front cover of my University's Magazine was amazing!

I joined City Year straight out of college because I wanted to make a difference. I wanted to be a part of something greater than myself and I knew that I would be joining an organization that cared every bit as much about education as I did. After reading the article about what the Graduate School of Education is doing to help communities in need, it’s clear that my time at Fordham helped lead me to City Year. It is as if I never truly left Fordham.

No comments:

Post a Comment