Monday, June 2, 2014

Intern Spotlight: AJ Golio


By AJ Golio, FCRH '16

The story that I will always tell future prospective employers about my Public Relations internship at The Fresh Air Fund is about the first time I got a placement in a newspaper.

When I first began my internship, I knew absolutely nothing about PR. I hardly even knew what the two letters stood for. I originally applied because I wanted to get involved in non-profit work, and I figured that casting my net out wide would help my chances. Somehow the interview went well – I caught on quickly that they were looking to highlight my writing experience – and I arrived on the first day sitting between two Public Relations majors. Luckily, I was a quick learner, and was able to get the hang for dealing with the media from the instructions of my supervisors and from observing my peers. Mostly, however, I was on my own. Each intern was assigned to certain areas (I was in charge of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont) and was given all of the media responsibility for those areas. This included responding to volunteer leaders and attempting to get placements in newspapers.


My first experience pitching a story to a newspaper was an experiment. All I had to work with was a vague guide of points that I was supposed to highlight. I stumbled through my first pitch, but miraculously managed to get a placement in their newspaper. This early confidence boost was what carried me through many other more disappointing experiences.

Maybe it was sheer luck and maybe it was good instincts, but that first experiment is what set the tone for the rest of my internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment