Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Diversity Leadership in a Global Society: Case Competition & Networking Banquet

By Stefany Fattor
Director, Office of Career Services


Last night at 10pm, I was sitting on my couch, stressing out of my mind, wondering if Fordham students were going to come through for the Diversity Leadership in a Global Society Case Competition. The submission deadline was in two short hours, and I had exactly zero submissions.

The Diversity Leadership in a Global Society Case Competition offers $5000 in prizes for the winning teams. This case competition, the first of its kind by Career Services, is a result of the generous support of Johnson & Johnson led by our alumni champion Anthony Carter '76.

I can't describe how thrilled I was on March 13 when the application deadline passed and we had 17 teams apply to participate in the competition. But, as time ticked away last night I began to get very nervous.

As the 11:59pm deadline loomed I began to say, "What if?"
“What if they forget about the deadline?”
“What if they don't have time?”
“What if a team member backed out?”
“What if they just don't care?”


Despite there being $5000 in cash prizes, I never underestimate how busy Fordham students are. I don't forget they participate in thousands of internships and jobs, hundreds of student organizations, a million hours of community service, hundreds of research opportunities and of course rigorous academics. This doesn't leave much time for other projects.

I began to squirm and vent my worries to my husband. As I shared my "What ifs?" and brainstorming my plan B in case they came true, my husband’s response was very sobering.

"Stef. Don't worry about it. Fordham students never let you down. They'll come through. Trust them and go to bed."

I knew he was right. I came to Fordham in 2010 and I've said this a thousand times - and it has been true every time.

Fordham students came through!

Like they always do.
Eight teams total (each made up of 3-6 students) submitted work for the First Diversity Leadership in a Global Society Case Competition.

Competing Teams:
EmPrint
Mundus
Dream Team
Bronx Enterprises
The Gabelli Go-Getters
Giant Consulting
Bronxtrepreneurs
Strategic Innovation

I've spent today reviewing their materials and compiling their work for the judges and I have never been more proud. Their work is truly innovative and inspiring.
Our final Diversity Leadership in a Global Society event is the Networking Banquet on April 7th.

The 3 finalist teams will be announced on Facebook on April 1st and they will present at the banquet on April 7th to a panel of judges. At the close of the event we will announce the winners.

I hope you will join me to celebrate and recognize these students as well as network with employers.

Networking Banquet: Diversity Leadership in a Global Society
Tuesday, April 7, 6-9pm
McGinley Ballroom, Rose Hill Campus


RSVP today to reserve your spot at the banquet – and choose what employer you’d like to sit with for the networking dinner portion of the evening!
Once you’ve RSVP’d, please also submit your resume in pdf format to Cassie Sklarz (sklarz@fordham.edu) to be included in the employer resume book.  The subject line should read: Banquet Resume. Deadline for submission is 3/31.  Submit early to make sure it is approved and is not in need of revisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment