Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Internship Spotlight: Dan Rector


By Dan Rector, FCRH 2016

I started working for ‘stache media/RED Distribution in May of 2014 for my summer internship.  ‘stache media/RED Distribution is a marketing company that helps promote new and upcoming musical artists, and is a division of Sony Music.  The internship seemed a bit intimidating at first considering I had to create and submit biweekly reports, and attend weekly conference calls. The fieldwork was also demanding. I was required to hand out promotional items at locations that were thought to attract the demographic that the artist was trying to reach. I also was tasked with interacting with lifestyle accounts and establishing a relationship with the managers and employees of each store. Although it was hard work, it quickly became rewarding. The conference calls and reports required me to stay organized and focused at corporate standards, handing out promotional items forced me to work on my interpersonal skills, and my management of lifestyle accounts encouraged me to develop my ability to research markets and create a distinct plan for accessing those markets.

Not only this, but ‘stache media/RED Distribution sends their representatives to concerts free of charge. Even though the representatives are required to work during the event, it is still an excellent benefit. I was able to work a Rebelution show at the Gramercy Theater, and a Dirty Heads show at the Wellmont Theater.  ‘stache media/RED Distribution takes note of which artists the representatives prefer, and are accommodating enough to take that into consideration when assigning the representatives to tour dates. The group Dirty Heads even requested that I meet the band before the show because they understood the vital role that the representatives fulfill in promoting the artists. Overall my time with ‘stache media/RED Distribution was unforgettable, and the skills I developed are invaluable.

No comments:

Post a Comment