Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Internship Spotlight: Taylor Mead

By Taylor Mead, FCRH '16

As an intern at the Rachael Ray Show, I was able to develop a relationship with many of my coworkers that allowed each of them to be a mentor to me throughout the summer. Because I was able to develop such close relationships with people from different departments, I was able to learn bits and pieces of all aspects of television. Getting a glimpse into each of the departments made me aware of the importance of each and realize that the show would not be possible without each and every one of them.

Because of this, my coworkers made me feel that my job as a publicity intern was just as important as each of their jobs. This was an extremely great feeling because the producers and other important individuals of the Rachael Ray staff were willing to teach me what they knew and how they got to where they are in the field.

With that said, I truly feel that although my primary focus was on publicity (updating media contact lists, working the Facebook and Twitter accounts, and doing various other projects), I was able to learn a lot more than what I signed up for.

While much of this is a result of the kindness of everyone on set, I also believe that my experience was such a success because of my curiosity and eagerness to learn as much as I could. I have always sought to gain an abundance of knowledge and, to me, internships are some of the best opportunities to do so.
In the projects and tasks I have been assigned, I have found that there have been many opportunities where I have been able to express my creativity while also improving my ideas. More specifically, the other interns and I were expected to submit three episode pitches that the producers would analyze, comment on, and potentially choose for future Rachael Ray segments.

The producers were extremely helpful in teaching us how to take our ideas and develop them into something that may one day be on television. They taught us how to begin researching, how to approach the research, and how to develop it into a worthwhile idea. Their tips were extremely helpful and allowed me to really think about what the audience wants to see on an episode and how to attract the attention of busy viewers.

One of the producers told us, “If you wouldn’t want to watch the episode, they won’t either,” and this really sparked some interesting changes in the way we were approaching our research. With the help of the producers and the rest of the team, we were able to produce some really great, creative ideas that progressively got better and better throughout the summer.

Overall, my experience as an intern at the Rachael Ray Show was one I will never forget and in addition to learning about publicity, I was able to learn many production aspects of the media industry, and develop relationships with coworkers that will help me in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment