Thursday, September 25, 2014

Internship Spotlight: Francesca Cascardo

By Francesca Cascardo, FCRH '15

As graduation approaches, upperclassmen feel a mounting pressure to commit to a major, find an internship, and leave college knowing exactly what’s next. That’s what’s supposed to happen, right? Based on my own experiences, I’ve learned that things don’t always go according to plan and—believe it or not—it’s okay.

A few months ago, I refused to stray from my master plan. I was determined to find an internship at a newspaper or a magazine. Journalism is my concentration, so it seemed like working for a written publication would be the most logical thing to do. I wrote countless cover letters and sent out tons of LinkedIn requests. Using Fordham’s Career Link website, I branched out and even applied for a few Public Relations positions; I received a call for an interview the following week. Though I was sure I’d impressed the stylish little man interrogating me, later, I learned that I hadn’t gotten the job.


I was about to overdramatically conclude that all hope was lost when an opportunity came knocking. Three weeks earlier, I had reached out to one of my mom’s contacts for a class assignment. Although he was very kind, I didn’t expect him to provide me with anything besides information for my project. But as I read his email over and over again, I understood that he was offering me an internship at Versace, the Italian luxury brand.

I was given a unique opportunity; because Versace’s PR positions were filled, the company’s Human Resources coordinator thought it would be best to rotate me through the Buying, Visual Merchandising, and Marketing Departments. Still, nervous doesn’t begin to describe the way I felt on my first day of work. I was sure that Miranda Presley from The Devil Wears Prada would be my boss. To make matters worse, I had absolutely no experience in Buying, the department in which I would spend the first month of my internship. 

I was clueless for my first few days in the Buying Office, but I was stunned to discover that neither my coworkers, nor my boss, resembled fashion industry stereotypes. Everyone from the security workers to the CEO of Versace US was extremely friendly and helpful. With my coworkers’ guidance, I mastered Microsoft Excel after just two weeks. I learned that the seemingly worthless data I had spent hours typing was actually a weekly report of the company’s bestselling items; bestsellers in each store were influenced by a number of factors that could range from climate, to common attributes amongst consumers. Maybe I’m a fashion nerd, but I was intrigued.

As interesting as Buying was, I was excited to begin a new experience. I had a limited understanding of Visual Merchandising at first; to clarify, Visual Merchandising is positioning store items in a way that appeals to consumers, and thus, optimizes sales. I fetched hundreds of shoes, and dressed many mannequins. Once I proved that I was capable of following directions, I was given the liberty to set up purse displays, lay out home décor, and even style some of the mannequins on my own. It’s hard to believe, but these menial tasks are responsible for generating a large percentage of company profit.

By the time I was transferred to the Marketing Department, eagerness had eradicated my fear. A new group of co-workers welcomed me and I quickly learned what Marketing is really about. The number of small details that go into planning a promotional event is unbelievable; even the brand of folding chairs is meticulously selected. With so many details to pay attention to, multitasking is inevitable. I didn’t feel so important dealing with pushy agencies, or running down Fifth Avenue in search of a black duffle bag, but in the end, I knew that my work had helped create an 
event for one of the biggest brand names in the world.

Working at Versace wasn’t apart of my plan. I thought snooty co-workers and mean managers would criticize me. I was sure that I would never be able to use Excel, or complete the tasks I was given. My internship didn’t go as expected—even my last day of work was filled with surprises; as I was on my way out of the office, my co-worker handed me a list of contacts who work at fashion magazines. Things might not always go the way you planned and trust me…it’s for the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment