Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Alumni Spotlight: Katherine Muniz


By Katherine Muniz, Fordham '12

You know those movies that begin by telling you flat-out that something has happened to the main character, and the rest of the story is spent explaining it? Well, this is kind of like that. This is a cautionary tale of a girl who didn't do enough when she was in college. Having recently graduated in August 2012 and now being stuck in a position of little power, I find myself often thinking “what if”. What if I was enchanted to always say yes to everything? What would my life be like if I took every opportunity I was given? And what if I had done that in college?

To answer my own question, I give you this: a list of simple, non-scary opportunities that almost every college student is presented with. These opportunities would have enhanced my skills, built my experience, and helped me explore possible career options. Had I welcomed these, I would be a more well-rounded person today.

1. Summer Internships
Summer internships are a totally non- intimidating way to get lots of experience, and you don’t have to sacrifice school. Sign up for Career Services’ weekly email blasts and you’ll get relevant information on new openings for internships, and even full-time jobs for the future. I want to stress not putting off getting an internship for after college. A LOT of internships specify that the student must be currently enrolled in school, and able to receive credit. There are so many internships I've found that I wish I could apply for, but can’t. I hope you can learn from my mistake.

2. Clubs
I know. Clubs. What possible benefit could clubs have on your career? The truth is, clubs are actually a really great way of emphasizing and reiterating your interests to employers. If you cared enough to participate in it at school, it shows that you really do have interests and hobbies. Instead of just saying “I have an interest in film production” your resume will prove that interest by showing your membership in the Film & Television Production Club. 

3. Go to More Career Services Events
Okay, so this one might not be as easy as clubs, but it is seriously important! During my senior year I started to attend more Career Services functions, and while it educated me, it also left me wishing terribly that I had gone to them sooner. At a fashion panel I attended, every single panelist emphasized how important their internships had been. They received so many much-needed things from their internships, such as references, connections, and plain old experience. I would have gotten that advice earlier on if I had attended events sooner.

4. Work Study
Not everyone qualifies for it, but if you do, pick a work study that will come in handy. My sister worked at the Office of Development and did a lot of spreadsheet and clerical work. While it may not sound that fun, it looks great on your resume and is relevant to many positions. (Almost all post-graduate positions I've been applying to have some aspect of computer work/data processing/administrative work.)

5. The Funny Thing About Minors
A minor is not mandatory (most of the time). However, a minor can help make you more rounded. Hindsight is twenty twenty and since graduating, I have wished I had picked a minor that made good general sense for my interests. I liked History so I minored in it. However, now I’m left wishing I had gotten some training in a business-oriented minor to supplement my liberal arts background. So my advice? Consider getting a minor if you feel it makes sense to you. And also, DO NOT let the fact that it may be on a different campus deter you. If you’re really interested in it and think it will be valuable to learn about, please, go for it.
  

Katherine Muniz is a recent graduate of Fordham University with a Bachelors Degree in Communications having concentrated in Journalism. She is currently looking for her first foot in the door and has become an expert in applying for jobs, dealing with rejection, and persevering in the hopes of finding that sliver of opportunity on the other side.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I was simply checking out this blog and I really admire the premise of the article and this is really informative. I will for sure refer my friends the same. Thanks


    Home Lifts

    ReplyDelete