Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Intern Spotlight: Ann Pierret


By Ann Pierret, FCRH '2014

This past semester I've been studying abroad through Boston University in Sydney, Australia. For the first half of the program we took two classes. After spring break, we started our internship, which we go to 4 days a week, leaving Monday open for one class. I have the privilege of working with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. The ABC is similar to BBC or PBS in that it’s a public broadcaster owned by the government. There are no commercials during programming!













I’m working under the production manager of a new TV show called The Checkout. According to their website, the program “reinvents consumer affairs for the twenty first century, giving viewers a healthy and/or dangerous mix of info and attitude that hopefully might lead to smarter spending decisions.”

Although I’d like to become a broadcast journalist and focus more on television news, I was excited for this internship because I’m learning the production side of things.

So far, I've helped the research team by looking into more background information on products or consumer affairs issues and going out to find the actual products. Also, because the show has such a low budget, they've used me as an extra a few times. I have no complaints! I get to say I was on several episodes of an Australian TV show! When I’m not starring as an extra on shoots, I go out on location to assist the director and assistant producers by preparing the location, keeping passersby away from the set, and doing other random jobs.


I am having a phenomenal time. Aussies in general are super nice, and the people I’m working with are just extraordinary!! Everyone is so passionate about their job - so passionate that they've actually risked getting arrested to prove their point.  They also have a lot of fun with what they’re doing. Since the show is a comedy, everyone is constantly joking around and laughing, which creates the perfect work atmosphere.

The Checkout premiered on March 21st, and has been well-received by the Australian audience. This comes as no surprise, since two of the presenters and the executive producer of the show were part of a comedy group called The Chasers. They used to have a show where they “punk’d” (for lack of a better word) different people and political events. You ask anyone on the street, and they know who these guys are. Yet they are the kindest, most humble people. One day, while sitting in wardrobe with the executive producer, he asked me all about my life in The States, and what I want to do; and then he told me about The Chasers and places I still need to see in Sydney. When the people you work with really care about you, you know you’re in the right place.

You don’t have to come all the way down under to find that, though. In fact, it’s nice if you can find such an experience in America because the language barrier can become frustrating. (Actually, I think accent and lingo barrier is a better way to put it.) Unfortunately, more than once I have had to ask, “WHAT?” when given a task. Australians tend to speak extremely fast and that combined with their accents makes it difficult to understand what they’re saying. Plus, in the beginning I was unsure of a few of the products they were asking me to research or go find, so I was even more confused. However, everyone I work with is very understanding, and they have actually taken it upon themselves to teach me about the Australian culture. Regardless of how busy they are trying to put a 30-minute episode together in one week, they don’t mind taking the extra minute or so to explain something or just have a conversation. 















Not asking for help, though, also gives me the chance to learn on my own, which I know they appreciate. As with any internship, I've learned it’s important to be self-reliant. You can’t always figure things out on your own, but when you do, it’s really rewarding, and your supervisor will appreciate it.  

The other differences in the workplace are numerous. The environment is definitely more ‘lax over here. You don’t have to be at work right on-time, cuss words are present in every conversation, and the dress code is non-existent. You are also encouraged to get up from your desk to take a break.

In addition, I have an actual role on a team at my internship here. At other internships, I was more of a shadower, and the head honcho of the corporation was a god. Here, I have had multiple conversations with the executive producer of the show, and have gotten to know him very well. He’s around all the time; he actually works in a cubicle right along all of us.

Finally, I think what I love most about this job is how diverse my role is. I never know what to expect when I go in each day. I could be some random character, hanging out on location, running around Sydney looking for a specific product, or sitting in the office researching. It’s a good time, and I couldn't be happier that I chose to intern while abroad. I have learned more about the city from a whole different perspective.

Ann is studying Communications & Media studies at Fordham College Rose Hill, and minoring in Computer Science. She is currently studying abroad in Australia through a program with Boston University.

1 comment:

  1. In the same time well-bred people who attend colleges or even academic institutions find it problematic sometimes to complete a difficult assignment on a suggested subject. For those students who want to become sophisticated ones, this writing company proposes a reasonable help from that one paper writing on time. We make well-organized materials for anyone who needs an immediate and professional aid with lots of reasonable ideas.

    ReplyDelete