Monday, April 14, 2014

Student Spotlight: Annie McGee


Manilla: Much More than Just a Folder
By Annie McGee, FCRH '14

When I entered my final semester at Fordham University in January, I had a lot on my mind. The days of lying on Eddie’s were coming to an end, and I would need to start applying for full-time jobs, search for an apartment to live in after my current lease was up, and gear up for the “real world.” What wasn’t on my mind was the fact my entire post-college job plan and outlook on personal finance was about to change because of a simple internship with Manilla, a company I was just introduced to this year.

  
Ever since I filled out my Fordham application as a high school senior, I knew I wanted to study political science and one day work for the government or for a non-profit organization. It was a field that had always interested me, and I knew I wanted to have a career where I could give back to my community and serve others.

Fast-forward to last December, when I was about to enter the second semester of my senior year. I was ready to buckle down and start looking into jobs that would fulfill my desire to work in politics — that is, until I came across an internship posting from a company called Manilla.com. I was intrigued. I had never heard of Manilla, nor did I know what services it offered. The role was listed as being in the writing and marketing field, something I had never thought to explore. I applied anyway, knowing that my Fordham education both in and out of the classroom had equipped me with the necessary skills to adapt and thrive in a new environment.

Now, I am assistant editor of The Manilla Folder, the company’s online magazine. Every day, I edit, post and curate articles written by our long roster of experts, who write about money, organization, productivity, healthcare and lifestyle. Our articles are advice-driven pieces designed to help you simplify and organize your daily life. You can learn about the basics of creating a simple budget, where to start when it comes to repaying your student loans, how to hang out with friends and go shopping in a financially responsible way, how to start applying for jobs, and more. I love thinking of new ways that Manilla can help students like me.

Manilla is owned by Hearst Corporation, one of the largest media companies and publisher of popular magazines, such as Cosmopolitan, Elle, Good Housekeeping, Marie Claire and Esquire. It’s the leading, free and secure service that lets you can manage all of your household bills and accounts in one place online or using its free mobile apps. With a Manilla account, you only need one password to manage and share all of your household bills and accounts, including banks, credit cards, utilities, daily deals, travel and rewards programs, Netflix and magazine subscriptions, OpenTable reservations, healthcare accounts, and more. Manilla sends automatic text and email reminders when your bills are due, so you never waste money on late fees, and it offers free, unlimited online document storage, making it easy to go paperless with your bills and statements.


Now, as a college student, you may be thinking: I don’t have that many bills — why do I need Manilla? The reality is, it’s never too early to start thinking about personal finances, budgeting your money responsibly, and saving for the future. Using Manilla is the perfect way to learn about personal finance in a way that makes sense to students and recent graduates. You’ll never miss a bill payment because you can set up text or email reminders for when bills are due. You can also share your bills with roommates and parents so that everyone is on the same page. Manilla also offers a “Financial Literacy Toolkit for Students and Grads,” which breaks down finances, teaches lessons about credit and debt, and has suggestions on how people our age should be spending and managing money.

I am truly passionate about the Manilla message because I believe it is a service that can change your life. It is a great resource where you can get everything organized, so you can live life easy and stress free. Check us out at Manilla.com, and don’t forget to see what we’re writing about on The Manilla Folder.

           
Annie McGee is assistant editor of The Manilla Folder at Manilla.com and a senior at Fordham University. Annie is excited to help The Manilla Folder readers understand the benefits of using Manilla to improve their lives and become more organized. Follow Manilla on Tumblr and Instagram for the inside scoop of Manilla news and tips on how to get it together.

More from Manilla:

No comments:

Post a Comment