Monday, August 25, 2014

Internship Spotlight: Peony Tam


By Peony Tam, FCLC’15

I started working at Julien Farel Group in January during my spring semester of my junior year. Now fast-forward, I’ve been working here for the past eight months as a marketing intern and it has been a truly rewarding experience! When I saw the opportunity to apply to Julien Farel on the Career Services website, I automatically jumped on it, as it seemed like a fun experience to work with a haircare company. The fact that this company focused on anti-aging haircare piqued my interest as well, since I have never heard of anti-aging for your hair! My internship at Julien Farel gave me a whole new outlook about working in the beauty industry and taught me a lot of things I didn’t know about hair (trust me, there’s a lot you don’t know!). I can definitely say that this internship has convinced me to want to work in the beauty industry in the future!

Julien Farel Group is a French American company that overlooks the Julien Farel Anti-Aging Haircare line and a line of luxurious salons in New York, Miami, and Cabo San Lucas. At Julien Farel, I was able to jump in with both feet and learn the day-to-day activities of a salon & haircare company. My typical workday would involve creating and planning content for our social media platforms. What I liked about this was that I was able to bring my own ideas and creativity to the table. You can always find something to connect back to hair, whether if we’re talking about the latest hairstyles on celebrities or even World Cup inspired hairstyles. I also learned a great deal about branding and all the aspects it involves to create a brand presence. I felt like this company was very unique in that it wasn’t just a simple haircare company, they overlooked a chain of salons as well. So, I wasn’t only thinking creatively about a haircare line, but also ways to promote their salons as well. 

Even though I worked on the marketing side of the company, I was able to interact and work with the other departments of the company as well. Some days I could be working on social media, other days I would work with the retail side and also learn how they prepare for any retail events. Often, I was given the freedom and independence to become a true part of the Julien Farel team and to have my own input into projects. The small size of the company and the welcoming nature of every employee provided me with countless learning opportunities in a friendly environment. 


I also loved interacting with the Julien Farel Salon hairstylists, as we worked with them to share their amazing work on our social media pages. A special perk of being an intern was that I was able to get free hair services from the salon (sometimes I got to be a hair model for social media as well)! Not only did I learn a lot about marketing and branding, but also I have a better understanding of how important it is to take care of your hair from a young age. Because our skin is not the only thing that ages, our hair ages as well! I am very thankful to Julien Farel Group for providing me with an enriching, fun experience that has been and will continue to be immensely helpful in my future endeavors! 


If you would like to inquire about internship opportunities with Julien Farel, please email jkim@julienfarel.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment