Wednesday, December 12, 2012

"My Internship Could Be Yours!"


By Matt Grandchamp, Gabelli Junior

This summer, panic started to takeover because I had never had an internship. I was going into my junior year, and I was worried that no one would want to hire me after college because I was lacking in experience. This is when I turned to CareerLink. I applied to over 15 internships, and was hoping that I would get at least one offer. I was praying that some company would need an intern to make coffee and shred paper.  I was surprised when multiple employers emailed me back and asked for interviews. Furthermore, I was shocked when multiple companies offered me an internship position and the hard part became determining what internship to accept. 

After mulling over the different offers, I decided to intern at Host Committee. Host Committee is actually part of a venture capital firm, which means that the office is placed in an incubator. An incubator is an open office that has multiple start-up companies within its walls. Host Committee is a company that facilitates parties at the hottest venues in NYC. The parties are thrown for the hosts with only the hosts' guests, meaning the hosts get a private venue with a DJ for a few hours.  My decision to take this internship was based on the interactions that I had with the staff on my interview, and that decision was one of the best decisions that I have made in my college career.

The internship not only allowed me to have an awesome workplace environment with a ping pong table and free lunch on Fridays, but the internship also allowed me to see all the different aspects of a business.  I was able to sit in on every meeting and learn directly from the CEO, COO, CMO, and CTO. The meetings varied from strategy meetings to planning marketing campaigns. I got to look at the profits from each party and see how the company was growing at an increasing rate. Furthermore, I did not have to sit in the corner and keep my mouth shut during meetings. I was encouraged to give my perspective and offer up solutions to problems. The internship actually helped me declare a major and see what I would like to do when I graduate.

Matt Grandchamp is Marketing major and a student leader in OSLCD at Rose Hill. He completed his first internship this summer at Host Committee. Host Committee is currently looking for new interns. Check out the available internship opportunity on CareerLink – Job ID #14021. 

No comments:

Post a Comment