Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Internship Spotlight: Eric Grossman


By Eric Grossman, FCRH '15

I just finished up an awesome internship with Stache Media, a music marketing company here in the Big Apple. Basically, the company hires a few representatives from most major cities in the U.S  and they all work on marketing projects simultaneously. I was part of the Alt Rock team, so I was working on promoting bands like The Fratellis and Chvrches.

I'd be sent a ton of stuff like posters and stickers and would go around the city putting them up and giving them out at the places that I thought fit well with the music. Sometimes I'd just put them up on blank city walls like this: 


Most of the people in the stores were super friendly and were happy to have the promotional material. While there is an office in NYC, there's no need to go there to get your work done. You just put up the materials in the given amount of spots and then write up a report that notes all the work you did.

I'd also get to go concerts of a lot of the bands I promoted FOR FREE, so that was great. My favorite shows were Daughter/ Bear's Den and Chvrches. I love all of those bands, so it was great to be able to promote them and then see them up close. If you don't know Chvrches, go for it. They kind of blew up this year and have some really catchy music.

Also, one time I was at a concert for this amazing singer from Brazil, Mallu, and I actually got to go backstage and hang out with her and the band! That was such a cool surprise. She's a real talent by the way. You may want to look her up too. She's like if Regina Spektor and Laura Marling were one woman that spoke Portuguese.

Overall, it was a great experience. I'd recommend the internship to anybody that is really into music and wants to get into marketing, promotion or A&R.

No comments:

Post a Comment