Monday, June 3, 2013

Intern Spotlight: Kimberly Iaciofano


By Kimberly Iaciofano, FCRH 2014

My passion has always been reading and writing. That’s why an editorial internship at Scholastic was easily the opportunity of a lifetime.

I was given the chance of interning for Scholastic through an alumnus of Fordham! Finding a former Fordham student was not only great because we shared previous professors and attended the same events, but it was also a great source of networking.

As an intern, my primary tasks were reviewing proposals and formulating replies, proofreading and editing any manuscripts, as well as composing cover copies and other miscellaneous duties. Not only was I able to gain hands-on experience on projects that an editor would normally encounter, but I was also able to immerse myself in the publishing world. Attending meetings and interacting with other employees in different departments allowed me to see the book publishing world from all different angles, furthering my experience and my ability to see promise in a future career.

My most memorable experience was when I wrote my first cover copy, in which I co-created the slogan and summary paragraph on the back cover of a new children’s series. Volleying ideas back and forth with my supervisor was an eye opening experience, in which I realized that the input that I was giving was actually important. Looking at the final product, I could see my words and my ideas clearly in the text. In the months to come, when I see this book out in stores for children to buy, I’ll feel a great sense of gratification and satisfaction in contributing to such a process.      

This internship has been a great opportunity in reaffirming my aspirations for the publishing world. This summer I will be continuing my internship at Scholastic in the Production department and I could not be happier.

1 comment:

  1. I do agree with all the ideas you have presented in your post. They’re really convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are very short for newbies. Could you please extend them a little from next time?..Keep this great work..
    Study Abroad Consultants in Chennai

    ReplyDelete