Friday, June 28, 2013

Intern Spotlight: Rachel Segrest

By Rachel Segrest, Gabelli 2014

In February 2012, I began wondering how the heck I was going to spend my summer.  After settling on living for three months in Manhattan, I began searching for internships. I’m a business management major, but I didn’t want to work at some souped up company. Wearing a suit and retrieving coffee were low on my priority list to say the least. While scouring Fordham’s Career Services website, CareerLink, I came across a listing for an intern at a small Ashtanga yoga studio in Harlem. I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I imagined myself practicing yoga as I pleased and becoming a Zen goddess. Part of that came true, no need to specify which one.

After landing the internship at Land Yoga, I was welcomed right into the heart of the business. I was also encouraged to participate in as many yoga classes as I wanted. I knew next to nothing about yoga, but my boss and shala owner (shala is the more correct name for studio), Lara, entrusted more responsibility to me than I could’ve hoped for at a large corporation.  My projects would surprisingly encompass a variety of disciplines including marketing, PR, management, and IT.

I was in charge of many administrative tasks as well as a few things that were not part of the initial job description – which is part of the reason why I loved my internship. My first task as intern was to design and order shirts for the studio. Once UPS finally delivered them neatly folded in cardboard boxes, I secretly jumped for joy, reveling in my small success.

In addition to preparing orders, I also got to get out of the studio. After designing some promotional material for our pre and postnatal yoga classes, I mapped out all of the medical businesses that new moms frequented around upper Manhattan. Once finalizing my route, I spent a few workdays biking around and delivering the flyers I made. It was awesome. Wiping sweat from my brow, I would jump off my bike and waltz into doctors’ offices, negotiating whether or not I could post up the flyers. I learned a lot about interacting with people on those bike trips. Before I could speak with one Harlem doctor, I had to talk to three hardened nurses and then wait with some veteran employees on their lunch break in a small break room. Helmet in hand, I was considerably terrified by the time I was called in to speak with this doctor (who for some reason had the unreachable status of a politician). Long story short, the curtain closed with a genuine handshake, warm smiles, and my flyer posted in the hospital’s maternity wing.

As the summer pressed on, the ‘intern’ in my title quickly disappeared. I was the Operations Manager, and I could answer just about any question relating to Land Yoga that you could come up with…and I did. I loved interacting with the diverse people that frequented the studio. Many of them did not fit the regular yoga student stereotype; they were comedians, DJs, musicians, and business people. I even ended up with tickets to an Upper Eastside comedy show and a Hudson River concert cruise.

Before moving on to study abroad for a year, Lara enlisted me to create a manual to guide the future interns of Land Yoga. I really enjoyed putting what I had learned while working at Land into a cohesive guidebook for new employees to use. It was fun to anticipate the potential questions that the interns might have and allay their possible concerns by making a set of instructions for them. I trained a couple new interns before I left, but this manual helped to ensure that my support continued even after I was gone.

I took on the internship at Land Yoga because it was a young company that could afford me more experience than a big business. However, I still can’t believe how much I learned about owning and running a business while working there. I got to see the humanity behind business management. Overcoming obstacles, adapting to changes, and celebrating small triumphs were intertwined with doing handy work, teaching my boss about technology, and explaining the shala’s mission and offerings to potential students. Interning at Land was never boring, and although I may occasionally fall short of a Zen goddess, the experience I gained there has significantly aided my development into a resourceful and self-motivated member of society.

No comments:

Post a Comment