Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Internship Spotlight: Amy Lyman


By Amy Lyman, FCRH '14 

I started my sales internship at Rebecca Taylor in August, right before fashion week. Packing up all the samples for the fashion show was challenging because samples are constantly being borrowed and sent out to different showrooms and magazines all over the world. Therefore, having all the required pieces for a specific event requires a lot of work. There is so much work that has to be completed by different departments. It is amazing to see all of the hard work come to life. It takes months of preparation for a fashion show that lasts 15 minutes. However, it is a vital 15 minutes. Bloggers, representatives from magazines, and buyers attended the show. Their opinion of the collection is very important and helps determine the success of the Spring 2014 collection.


After the fashion show, everyone had to prepare for market week. The most important buyers came to our showroom for appointments to view the collection and place their orders for their stores. I greeted buyers and made sure they had updated line sheets, which provides pricing and descriptions of each garment. I was also able to attend coterie with the sales team. Here, many designers set up large booths displaying their spring collection. Buyers stop by all the booths and look at each piece. I helped bring the different looks to the sales reps. I answered questions buyers had about the collection and wrote up their purchase orders. This being my third week interning, I had to pick up on things quickly.

At Rebecca Taylor, I send out samples all over the world for trade shows, photo shoots, and other showrooms. I spend three days a week in the showroom. I make sure the showroom is organized properly and is presentable for meetings. I update inventory and create line sheets. I track samples and make sure certain clothing pieces are available for different events. This requires a lot of organization and communication with other departments who may have the samples for their own needs. This week, I went to the ecommerce photo shoot. This is for pre fall 2014. This industry moves fast and everyone is constantly thinking ahead. I have thoroughly enjoyed being a part of such an exciting company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment