Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Internship Spotlight: Spenser Field


By Spenser Field, FCRH '15
 
I have watched the Wendy Williams Show ever since I started college in New York in 2011. I brought my love for the show to my home in suburbia, and even got my mom hooked. Calling herself an “online fan” she has even more reason to watch the show now, as I followed my love for the show and became an intern.

Watching the show and being a communications major, I knew that I would love to be a part of the production. After attending the show with my best friend in March of 2013, the deal had been sealed. I was determined to take any action necessary to be part of that production team, even if it meant being an intern. To me, interning at the Wendy Williams Show was something that I aspired to do, and from that moment in March, I knew I would get there.

I immediately looked for any connection that I could possibly have with the show. They tell you networking is the best way to get a job these days, and thats’s exactly what I did. I contacted a classmate who had graduated who had also had an internship with the show. She gave me a few contacts, and with that, I was on my way to my first internship.

I remember sending my email with my resume attached, and the feeling of anxiety and excitement while I waited for a response. Hearing from my future boss, Joe, was something I checked my email for daily. When I finally heard from him and was asked in for an interview, I could hardly contain my excitement. I headed into the city later that week, met Joe at the show’s offices, and had my first real-world interview. The interview went well, and even with that one meeting, I knew that working at the show would be an incredible experience.

I was so excited to get started. I met my fellow interns and actually cultivated a few great friendships. I learned some of the ins and outs of television, in terms of production on set as well as production of segments with the aid of research. I can tell you now, one of the most amazing things about doing research (especially as an intern) is seeing the things that you find used for a segment.

I was also lucky enough to work with a team who produced celebrity segments as well as make-over segments (we did a number of Breast Cancer make-overs during October), and I loved every minute of it. They say that if you do something you love, you never work a day in your life. Being realistic and knowing that it was only my first internship, I knew that there would be a lot of work involved, but I could tell and continue to know that I am getting there.

I could not have asked for a better group of people to work with, either. The show benefits from every single person who works there, and everyone makes their own unique contribution to the show. The atmosphere in the office is my favorite thing about working at the show. While staying professional, the show has a casual atmosphere that is also incredibly fun and enjoyable. Wendy’s glam squad is as fabulous and phenomenal as they seem on the After Show. The entire staff at the Wendy Williams Show is amazing in their own way. The picture above is from Halloween, when they encouraged everyone to dress up in costume. If you squint really hard, you can see me and my friend Anjelique on the far right. Even this one day of working while having fun and dressing up was almost heartwarming, in a sense. You know you are working and aiding in the production of a nationally broadcast show, but it doesn’t necessarily feel like work. Its something you enjoy, its not something that feels forced in the least. Sure, as an intern, you have to do some work that seems tedious, but its all for your benefit and its something you have to do in order to grow.

I feel beyond lucky to have been given this opportunity, and to be honest, I am so reluctant to leave when the semester ends. I will keep in touch with the office, and believe me, if they ever needed me for anything, I would jump at the chance. What an extraordinary experience to have for a first internship. It definitely shows you that if you are determined enough to make your dreams happen, no matter how big or small, you will succeed and it will pay off in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment